For individuals who are afraid that they have lost their independence as a result of immobility or aging, chair lifts provide a method of maintaining freedom and it is a useful method of navigating the stairs as well.
A number of activities that are now taken for granted have increasingly become more difficult to carry out as a result of aging and getting up and down the stairs is one of them. In the event that you are afflicted with a disease like arthritis or angina or if an injury has caused you to have lowered mobility, a practical and affordable solution is a chair lift.
There is a chair lift to fit just about any type of staircase, even if it is curved of shaped awkwardly. Technological advances have made sure that they can be installed safely virtually anywhere. However, a reputable and professional company is the best choice for installing these devices.
The occupational therapy department in your local social services office is typically able to give you advice on the installation of a home chair lift and the type that will be most ideal for your budget and needs. Below are a number of other things that you can do in order to ensure that you get the best suited lift for you:
• Find out from a company the different models in which they specialize.
• Carry out a bit of basic research on the different brands and models of lifts that are available, by reading sales brochures and looking online.
• When you compare prices, get a number of quotes for similar types from several different manufacturers.
• Ensure that both the chair lift and the cost of installation are included in the quotes that you receive.
• Find out from the company if any repairs or routine maintenance to the chair lift is covered in the final cost or if you would be expected to pay out an extra amount for servicing. Ensure that you are aware of what the repair policy and customer service of a company is like.
• Avoid pushy salespeople, particularly if they are working for commission; they will do their best to persuade you into buying something that you do not actually need or want. It is very possible that the model that is most suitable for you might not be the same as the one being pushed by the salesperson.
It is important to note that it is much more affordable to get chair lifts installed for your stairs than having to move to a new house or carrying out a large scale renovation on your current residence; in addition, a chair lift will provide you with the independence and freedom that you require to have a fulfilling life.